free hit counter code suck it trebek: Finn 1998-2008

suck it trebek

alex trebek is a horrible, horrible man. he's an apparent misogynist who thinks he knows everything. we don't think you do, alex. but we still love the Jeopardy! ...and other things too.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Finn 1998-2008

Thanks for all of the well wishes from everyone this past month or so concerning the healthy and recovery of my best friend covered in hair, Finn.

Unfortunately, Monday's surgery found him with a liver riddled with cancer. The vet said he had perhaps a month left with us and because of the surgery two weeks of that time would be spent in a crate healing. We were floored and defeated. Then I received a call to come quickly to the surgery center as he might not make it for another hour. Something happened after the surgery and while he'd been an excellent candidate for it, he'd gone into severe shock and hemorrhage.

God, Buddha, the universe, whatever, heard me and the little guy waited for me to get there. He responded slightly to my touches and thankfully never felt a thing as he was still under some influence from the anesthesia. I (along with Jen and my mom) stayed with him for maybe five minutes until he left. I've never been more grateful to be there for such a sad event.

That kitty was my companion for 10 years. Through hard break-ups, moves, deaths of relatives and friends, and more important, some of the happiest times ever. Unconditional and unassuming. We shared an amazing bond, communication (he came when he was called and would answer specific questions--really very smart) and he comforted me on a daily basis.

I know many folks will say that I'm silly to feel such loss and emotion after this, but I'm not going to discredit those feelings as, like my good friend Matt said, they signify a great unconditional love that some people just aren't capable of, a charity to the innocent and the ability to truly feel something for another (human or not).

Thank you to everyone who has sent messages, cards, flowers, a balloon and in general their love. I love you for it and it really helps. Otto and I are doing better everyday, trying to get used to one less in the house. It's hard to not have Finn wake me everyday like clockwork (just so he could make me stay in bed to cuddle), so if I rise a bit later for a few days, forgive me.

Thanks again.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sophie said...

I'll kick anybody's ass who says it's silly to feel that way.

Deep sympathy. Been there.

7:00 PM  
Blogger paul said...

Sorry for your loss. Finn sounded like a good cat.

Maybe you can find an animated gif of a chicken blowing into a party favor to help cheer you up.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home